Friday, July 23, 2010

Dempsey Does It!

What spark of creativity excites the mind as it looks at this. . . .




And imagines this. . . ?




Yes, it is the same fireplace, in the same house -- ours.  Until last week, the "before" fireplace was the focal point of our family room.  It was functional, providing added warmth from a log fire in the winter, but exuded no style, no "pop," as the current HGTV (Home and Garden Television) terminology goes.  And no light.  For all we know, the sun could be performing somersaults through streaks of pink and orange or even polka-dots as it sets each evening, but with no westerly-facing windows, we're in the dark (in more ways than one.)

That was "before" Dempsey.  Dempsey, the youngest of Drew's six siblings, has been drawing houses, add-ons to houses, floor plans and interior designs "since as far back as I can remember," he explains. Even as a young boy, he recalls carrying a notebook around with him to sketch his ideas. After filling  up many more notebooks at Memphis College of Art and accumulating over 20 years of experience in all aspects of design, decorating and construction,  he started his own business. . . Dempsey Does It!  Reading the back of his T shirt, when he slows down long enough for someone to make out the words, gives a clear description of just what "It" he does:

*paints interiors and exteriors    
*rearranges wall decor and furniture    
*stages for property resale
*landscapes and lights yards and gardens    
*recommends and makes interior accents
*builds and installs exterior accents

(And he "does" his own sewing, I might add!)

Hoping that he would have a vision for our fireplace, I called and he enthusiastically agreed to take a look (so enthusiastically that I wondered if he hadn't secretly been wanting to get his hands on it for years.)  We talked, he measured, took pictures, then left, saying that he'd get back to me; I assumed within a couple of days.  In less than 8 hours, he sent me an email with this design:


"I couldn't stop thinking about it," he said as we talked later. "I've been working on the design all day.  It's so exciting!" Dempsey's spark of creativity wouldn't let him rest.  From the moment he left our house, I could imagine it chattering with "what if's" as Dempsey sketched, erased, and pondered, repeating the process until the creative force finally proclaimed, "Yes, that's it!"

Brain researchers may have pinpointed areas of our brain where creativity lives, but I prefer for its specific address to remain unknown, illusive, much like a gift given anonymously, with a tag of wonder attached to the bow.  A gift hidden within each of us, wrapped in unique paper, requiring our attention and intention to discover.  Yearn as I might for a drop of Dempsey's creativity and skills, I instead opt for gratitude as my emotion of choice.  Grateful for his gift and the myriad of creations which enrich my life each day, for the writer's chatter that wakes me up at night. . .  and for a stunning new fireplace!

Needing Dempsey Does It for a project at your house?  You may contact him via email at dempseydoesit@gmail.com








  

No comments:

Post a Comment