Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Haikus Written in Russia but not in Russian (Summer)

I walked through Pokrovskoye-Streshnevo Park, a.k.a. "the park across the street" for the last time on June 20th, then left for the airport.  I saved the best for last, my favorite place in Moscow, 30-seconds from the door of our apartment building.  As I waved good-bye, turned and walked away, I felt that I was leaving a friend.  
A rather odd pairing, a park and a person.  Yet it's true.  I have developed a deep relationship with acres of trails and trees, bushes and lakes, pointy-eared squirrels, serenading birds, a rickety bridge, flower gardens, secluded spots of solitude. . .with a faithful listener, an inspiring muse, and ever-accepting companion. 
I knew that I my final blog posting from Russia would be about The Park, in celebration of her spirit, in gratitude for her friendship.  I would complete the set of seasonal haikus, with summer joining the photographs and poems previously created for fall, winter and spring.  As I sit on the porch of our Arkansas home on a quiet summer evening, I write and remember.

       
gentle summer rain
sprinkles enchanting freshness
o'er a thirsty world


Sidewalk Museum
displays "Joy Through Childhood Eyes"
no rain can erase


         
orange, yellow, pink
circle a fountain of green
designed for delight


sunbathing pigeons
on a billowy June day
scout for wayward crumbs


final glimpse, then turn
away from Russian beauty
"dasvidaniya,* friend"
(*good-bye)


©Twylla Alexander 2011 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete