Thursday, September 23, 2010

Haikus Written in Russia but not in Russian (Autumn)

If you live in a part of the world where autumn is still weeks away or where it's not even a season in your vocabulary, let me share with you the first hints of Russian fall, growing more evident every day.  In May I posted an entry called Natural Magic in which I described the world under the treetops at Pokrovskyoye-Streshnevo Park in Moscow, a one minute walk from our apartment door. As I walked its paths this week taking pictures, words bubbled to the surface so quickly I hardly had time to get out my notebook and pencil. (If you read last week's posting, I'm happy to report that I had both.) As the words jockeyed for positions, some dropping out altogether to make room for their "just right" cousins, haikus formed.
So. . . take a walk with me and share the beauty of the season.
Lives forever linked
One arm supports the other
Walking towards the light


Leafy locks aflame
Coiffured in stylish brilliance
A bear to keep clean
Tramp! Tramp! Tramp! I go
Across a bridge to somewhere
Greener pastures call
Quiet reflection
Cloaked in secret solitude
Mindful of no one 
Autumn’s red berries
Remind a passer-by of
Russian caviar
If you have photos or haikus about autumn to share, leave a link to them in the comments section so we can continue to enjoy the season.

Haikus © Twylla Alexander 2010

2 comments:

  1. I have no haikus but I do appreciate yours and your photos. I think I like the rustic bridge the most, although it's a hard choice. Beautiful fall day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first haiku made me think of our friendship, Twylla :-)

    ReplyDelete