Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's All About Balance ("corny," but true)


The "Kream Kastle Drive Inn," one of those fast food places along the side of the road which I usually pass by without a second glance, called to me. . rather impolitely, I might add, like someone chewing a mouthful of french fries and talking at the same time.

"Stop!" it shouted.  "Have a milk shake, banana split, a chili pie loaded with cheese and onions."  I ignored it, tilted my nose in the air at the mere suggestion that I would make such unhealthy food choices and accelerated, quickly putting distance between myself and what I secretly craved.  With places to go and people to see, I drove on along Highway 70 between Little Rock and Hot Springs, knowing that in the afternoon, I would be retracing my steps, passing by the same spot, wondering if I could avoid the temptation twice in one day.

With the smell of deep-fat fried onion rings, corn fritters and tater tots chasing me down the road, I tried to remember the last time I had given into my craving, allowed myself the pleasure of one of my favorite food indulgences. Following the example of our adult children and their spouses, I have slowly evolved into a healthier eater, even buying more organic products and joining a co-op for locally grown and humanely produced meats, dairy items, fruits and vegetables.  When eating at a restaurant, I skim the menu to find the healthy options - salads, grilled chicken or salmon, fruit cups, lighter portions - glancing past the mashed potatoes, fried okra, and chicken-fried steak as if they didn't exist, blank spaces rather than real choices.

I ask you, "Where's the fun in that?"

Maybe that's why Kream Kastle kept circling through my thoughts all day. Could it be time to tip the scales towards a balance between healthy and the occasional not-so-healthy, between sensible and frivolous, between planned and spontaneous?  Mmmm. . . these scales seem to be measuring more than food.

The authenticity of this no-fills place appealed to my senses, as well.  No pretense.  No energy spent in trying to be something it wasn't. "This is who I am.  Take it or leave it," its menu boasted with its double bacon cheeseburgers, foot long hot dogs and hot fudge sundaes.  "If you're looking for high-class with all that healthy fruit and lettuce glitz, keep rollin' down the road to McDonald's," this establishment touted, oozing with confidence as plentiful as its ketchup bottles.

With the Kream Kastle's OP N sign (the E must have been on vacation) inviting me into its parking lot that afternoon,  I made my decision.  The menu was displayed in red plastic letters above the "Place Your Order" window.  I searched for the one item that I could already taste, in all its greasy goodness, topped with mustard -- a corn dog!  Accompanied by, what else? A creamy, sweet chocolate shake!
    
 YUM. I felt liberated!       

     

2 comments:

  1. We have to give in once in a while. It helps us to keep our resolve the rest of the time.

    ReplyDelete