Friday, June 11, 2010

The "T" Word

 As a young lady growing up in the prim and proper South, there were certain words I was never allowed to say, specifically the “S” word, “D” word, and “F word.”  (Which come to think of it, even now, I gag when these words attempt to wiggle their way up my throat and cross my lips.)  As an adult, I’ve added another word to the list.  What is this cursed word, you ask?  It’s the “T” word – TRANSITION.  No, it doesn’t exactly fit in the category of profanity, but certainly makes me want to swear each time I experience it.

Having transitioned from Moscow to Greenbrier just last week, in a long line of transitions over the past 23 years - from Arkansas to Barrow, Alaska, to Juneau, Alaska, to Singapore, back to Juneau, then Cairo, Egypt, and on to Moscow – I’ve determined that TRANSITION is my least favorite word in the English, or any other, language.

Sometimes I think it’s the speed with which the change occurs that makes me feel like E.T., who was suddenly uprooted when his space ship lifted off without him, leaving him lost, confused and living off Reese’s Pieces, looking for anything that reminded him of Home.  Maybe in the day of long ocean crossings, when there were endless hours of gazing at the horizon, lounging on deck chairs, letting go of one life and preparing for another, transitions were more manageable, more humane.  The day we left Arkansas for Alaska for the first time, it was 99 degrees on a hot August morning.  We stepped off the plane in Barrow, the northern-most town in the United States, 17 hours and 4150 miles later to a chilly 32 degrees and frigid blast of culture shock.   Not that I would have wanted to traverse the Brooks Range by dogsled in order to more gradually get accustomed to the Arctic, but who is prepared for that kind of monumental change in such a short time?  Not I.

I picture the “T” word as a gap, ranging in size from an easily traversed distance between stones across a shallow stream, to an abyss separating a ledge on either side.  The more life-altering the TRANSITION, the wider the gap between what was and what is, and the shakier the bridge connecting the two. (I’m talking really shaky, like one of those Indiana Jones types of bridges, where you grab onto rope handrails as rotten wood planks fall out from beneath your feet.) Of course, there are moments as I inch my way across even the widest gaps, when the view is so breathtaking that I forget about my precarious footing, when the exhilaration of the adventure propels me ahead, my hands barely touching the ropes beneath them. But then, just when I think I’ve got the hang of living with unease, I wobble, sit down and have a good cry, pull out my gratitude journal, call a friend, and gather my courage to take another step.      

Being a collector of inspirational quotes, I search my journals for words to serve as a TRANSITION mantra, to assure me that life will again even out.  I find wisdom in writings by Julian of Norwich, a medieval mystic. . .
“All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.”  
Julian offers no timeline as to the length of time this process will take, no assurances that it will happen smoothly, nor does she say that “all will be the same.” Simply that all will be well.
With each calming repetition, I grow bold enough to tell the “T word” to take its baggage and “ Go to H. . .” But stopping short of another unladylike word, I instead pick up a shovel, some potting soil and head to my flowerbed, knowing that digging in the dirt helps bridge the gap to our Arkansas home.
(If any of you reading this would like to leave a comment about what helps you during times of TRANSITION, please do so.)      

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Twylla - We are pondering our reentry (someday in the future) into the United States and it is scary. Your writing is very thought provoking. Cheers - John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twyla: The thing I notice about transitions is they are more difficult with age. I used to get so excited about the changes and anticipations of new adventures. Now, I'm still grieving over losing our local grocery store-- 1-1/2 years ago! I admire your ability to travel back and forth such a long distance, and between such diverse cultures. I think it must be especially difficult to wrest yourself away from the babies. . . They change so quickly. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I enjoy reading your blog. Rose Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, I feel like I'm in such good company as we ponder together. :-)

    Rose, I agree that as we get older, the transitions become more difficult. For me, there's so much to miss in both places, but I feel grateful that I have the flexibility to go and come so often. If I were still working, I would only be able to come back to Arkansas a limited amount of time. At least now, the grandchildren know who "Grandmom" is. :-) Thanks so much for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know that one of my roles in the diocese is the "Transitions Minister," helping congregations and clergy "bridge the gap" on their search for new leadership? I often find that many of the folks I encounter during these transitions in the church share your sentiments. And they can often express their displeasure in colorful ways! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason,
    Being in the "gap" is the most disconcerting part of the whole process, I find. Once I have something to hold onto, to take the place of what I miss (even it's a grocery store or a dentist), I can slowly begin to loosen my grip on "the way it used to be." But there does have to be that desire, doesn't there, to take a step in the new direction?

    ReplyDelete